Saturday, February 19, 2011

Just can't get enough







I got to hold Brooklyn yesterday morning for the first time. Besides marrying my wonderful husband, this was by far one of the best moments of my life. I can't believe how much I can love one thing so quickly. She is the most beautiful gift that Kenyan and I have been blessed with this week. And she's one tough cookie. I love watching Kenyan with her. He is already the best dad ever. He has been there for me and her this week. He leans over her, comforts her and calls her "Sweet Pea."

She knew exactly when she was supposed to be here. (With some help from our Heavenly Father too.) When I was here 3 weeks ago, they knew it was too early for her. They knew this week would be the best week.

Update on Brooklyn:

Brooklyn's blood sugars are stabilizing. When she first came out her pancreas was working double time. It was working for me and for her. I believe when they tested her after pulling her out that her blood sugar was around 40. This was the first thing they needed to get stabilized. After working on this they noticed a heart murmer. Brooklyn had an episode where her heart sped up in the 200's really quickly. She was able to calm herself down this first time, but it happened a second time and the nurses had to help calm her down by rubbing some ice around her jaw line. Those two times are the only times it has happened. When I was visiting her last night the nurse said it had been 36 hours since her heart last did that.

After doing an image of her heart and sending it to Primary Childrens for interpretation they said her PDA line hasn't closed. If I remember correctly, his is the ventrical coming from the right chamber of her heart. This should close on its own, it's not an uncommon thing. The nurses have told us it happens in babies that come full term as well. It might take Brooklyn's a little longer because of her being early. That's the big thing we are waiting for now.

Because of this PDA line they have only had Brooklyn on a sugar drip. Which is the white line coming out from her umbilical cord. This is why no one has been able to hold her. If this line came out it could cause her to bleed severely. They also haven't been feeding her anything, but yesterday she got to start eating some food, but only in very tiny amounts, and I mean tiny! I went down last night to see her and got there right as the nurse was getting ready to feed her. Lucky me, because she asked if I wanted to do it...duh!! So I got to hold and feed my precious Brooklyn again last night. The feeding took her about 30 seconds, but she loved it! Then the nurse took her blood pressure. They have to check it 4 times-once on each arm and leg. They were doing this every 6 hours, now they're only doing this every 12 hours. Good sign!

I'm so grateful for all the nurses and doctors here. They have taken such good care of me, but especially my Brooklyn. If she has to be in the hospital, she couldn't be in better hands right now. A huge thank you to the NICU staff at the IMC. Thanks for watching over my baby.

4 comments:

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

It's amazing how fast those little bitties change you huh? She is absolutely darling and I am so glad she got here safe and sound. Those NICU staff rock don't they?!!! On a total side note- how did you luck out to get all that hair on that girl? She is beautiful- as is your whole new family!!!!

Lu said...

So glad to hear this update. Wow! When that little Brooklyn gets to come home she is never gonna be put down! So hard to not be able to hold her as much as you want now. I'm sure you guys will make up for it later though! She sure is a cutie. I want to hug and kiss her chubby face:]

Marilee said...

You are the cutest mommy--very clever story by your gifted and talented daughter. Soooooo cute. Can't wait to hold her and tell her great stories and give her chocolate!

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

I'm so glad things are improving for her. Congratulations again on such a beautiful little girl. You guys will make fabulous parents! Hope you get to bring her home soon! Very cute too having Brooklyn tell the story of her birth! Very sweet!